Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Weekend in the north (of Italy) ... a summary.

Wow, … um, ok… well I went to Italy 2 weekends ago, Milan was Milan, dirty, and a smoldering pan of tar. According to a pharmacy thermometer, the temperature read 47C in the sun. Having walked around the city for six plus hours, and taken the tourist bus, I was more than satisfied to leave the Italian capital of fashion and finance for some peace and quiet of Turin. Eugenio, a classmate of mine was putting me up for the weekend, a favor I would return the weekend afterwards, and we arrived in the home of the Fiat at twilight. The city was much more beautiful and scenic than I had imagined, with rolling tree covered hills, houses hidden in nooks, and the city itself, painted white, with straight alleys and boulevards, or so it seemed at night, almost majestic I would say. The food, as tends to be in this part of the world was magnificent, and made me really not look forward to having to return to the bocadillo, tortilla, and patatas bravas, which stand out far and beyond the other two culinary disasters mentioned here (in my most humble of opinions).

All was going well, and relaxation was setting in, the quiet of the hills, coupled with the food, and the much cooler weather was settling into my bones, giving me the rest I so needed after Barcelona. When on Saturday, we decided to go out. Given the party was good, as most parties always are, but the following day, with what some may call a raging hangover, I found out that neither Eugenio nor I wanted to go out that night; all my relaxation, evaporated, gone… but that is life; full of mistakes and unspoken words.

On Sunday we returned to Milan, with Eugenio’s ex girlfriend’s mother in the front seat. Knowing she would come, it was my intention to take a nap while heading back, but with the woman taking nonsense the entire way there, it was hardly possible. The next day I flew home, with my Italian having improved significantly in just the few days I was there.

Upon arriving back to Barcelona, it soon became evident that the light were out in most of the city, and thus could not do my wash, could just sweat in my flat. Later that night we went to the Montjuic outdoor cinema with some 1st years, who left early as the film left a lot to be desired. And that is that, the last two weeks were uneventful. But this Friday, Misha and I set off for a long weekend excursion to Andalucía, news will be provided with some delay, and then there’s the Gracia festival, after which I am sure I will need another holiday.

As for work – I’ve started a new, and things are progressing slowly, but at least they’re moving. Pictures of Italy, should be on Flickr within the week. Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home