Monday, August 27, 2007

You guys know that rag, The Economist?

Funny thing happened just recently, I was reading a post on some tech blog about a Web 3.0 (or the Semantic web as some like to call it) company, and the article mentioned the Economist, and that Economist readers happen to have a certain unspoken bond with one another, a certain Je ne se quoi, but when you see someone at the airport, or the train, or even a café reading the magazine… well you just can’t help but smile a little.

So why this post about The Economist? Because I recently remembered how I got introduced to it, and I think it would be super cool to hear some of your experiences. For me it happened on Metro North RR in NY, coming back to Westchester… I don’t know the day, moth, or even year, but it was either in College, or just thereafter. I know it was the 1.30 am train, the last one up north, and I saw some guy reading the economist in the adjacent seat. What caught my interest was the cover story, and to be honest, I don’t remember what it was but, I kept looking over at the magazine, as the man next to me flipped from article to article, and eventually I asked him what he was reading. He told me, “The economist”, and sure enough as I got back home, a bit tipsy from the evening’s booze I think, I totally forgot about it.

Until, I found myself in a bookstore, and the trademark “The Economist” written in white on the signature red block caught my attention, and it all came back to me. I flipped through the pages, and bought the rag, and… well, the rest is history. Now I’ve got a subscription.

So… anyone else want to share???? Come on now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home